Nutrition and food security in uplands of Vietnam and Thailand
In Vietnam and Thailand the most food-insecure and unhealthy people farm and live in the rural highlands. The environment for farming is difficult, with poor soils on steep terrain, remote locations far from markets, government services and health care, and high levels of poverty. However, the area also has many assets – the people have many generations of farming experience, and there are farming practices that can be studied, improved upon, and shared.
The goal of this project is to identify local and practical solutions to improve nutrition and food security of the smallholder farmers using “nutrition-sensitive agriculture solutions” (NSAS). NSAS means that we focus not only on the production of more food, but also the nutritional quality of the food, and what the farmers do with the food. To improve their health, the farming families need to eat high quality foods, and not send all their best foods to the market. We are studying their farming practices, and their diets, and conducting analyses that will allow us to develop and test affordable and sustainable nutrition-sensitive agriculture practices that improve the nutrition and food security of participating households.
- Local communities, Hue University, Hanoi University of Agriculture, Chiang Mai University
Research conducted by partners will identify and test 3 to 10 different nutrition-sensitive agriculture interventions in three sites, and identify those best suited for scale up. The improved agriculture and nutrition practices will improve the nutrition status and health of participating households in the short term, and through scale up, the health of the broader community will be improved in the long term.
Watch a TV news report on how project activities are affecting local households. (subtitled in English)
- Nutrition and food security in uplands of Vietnam and Thailand: Interim Technical Report, 2013
- Nutrition and food security in uplands of Vietnam and Thailand: Second Interim Technical Report, 2014
- Nutrition and Food Security in Uplands of Vietnam and Thailand: Third Interim Technical Report, 2015
- Nutrition and food security in uplands of Vietnam and Thailand: Final Technical Report, 2016