The Global Tobacco Control Forum
The Global Tobacco Control Forum (the Forum) is an informal network of several Canadian organizations that share a common interest in global public health issues. They came together out of the need to foster a cohesive Canadian civil society response to the global tobacco epidemic.
The Forum’s member organizations first joined efforts in 2000 to support Canada’s leadership role in creating, adopting, and ratifying the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), the world’s first modern-day public health treaty.
Despite the adoption of the treaty in 2005, lack of resources remains a significant obstacle to effectively implementing the FCTC, particularly in low and middle-income countries.
Recognizing that an opportunity existed to build upon and broaden the partnership, in 2003 Forum members began to support partners in developing countries to meet their FCTC obligations.
The Forum provides a positive example of how a network of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and government agencies can work collaboratively to curb the harmful effects of global tobacco use.
The Forum works to reduce the vulnerability of low and middle-income countries to tobacco use. Its specific goals are:
- To support the Government of Canada in meeting its obligations to the FCTC;
- To support the tobacco control efforts of NGO and government partners in key countries and regions worldwide;
- To strengthen the work of Canadian and international networks on tobacco control.
The Forum’s Work
The Forum undertakes a range of activities globally, including:
- Providing technical assistance to partners in Africa, Latin America and Asia;
- Developing, nurturing, and maintaining relationships and networks with, and among, low and middle-income country colleagues;
- Conducting research, informing and fostering consensus on key policy issues, and participating in the development of FCTC guidelines, policies and programs;
- Supporting the development of a global civil society response to the tobacco epidemic;
- Monitoring national and global tobacco industry activities;
- Keeping Canadians informed about national and global tobacco issues.
The Forum’s supporters
The Forum’s work is currently supported by its member organizations and the Government of Canada.
- The Canadian Cancer Society
- Canadian Public Health Association
- Coalition québécoise pour le contrôle du tabac
- The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
- Non-Smokers’ Rights Association
- Ontario Tobacco Research Unit
- Physicians for a Smoke-Free Canada
Contact: Sian FitzGerald