In 2015, Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) was selected for the Bloomberg Initiative for Global Road Safety (BIGRS). HCMC will receive support from the World Resource Institute (WRI) for a period of 5 years (2015-2019) on key road safety initiatives, spanning road engineering, traffic enforcement, crash data management, road safety communication.
The Road Safety Project in HCMC is focused on the areas of Safer Streets and Safer Mobility. HealthBridge Vietnam is the implementing partner for this project. The overall objective of the project is to significantly improve urban road safety and reduce traffic fatalities in HCMC. The project works directly with HCMC staff and government officials to:
- Implement improvement projects for pedestrian safety and other high crash locations;
- Implement, and improve traffic safety for a BRT project in HCMC; and
- Strengthen the capacity within concerned local government agencies.
- strengthened legislation,
- improved infrastructure and
- safer sustainable urban transportation